Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pray For Parents

I talked to my parents on the phone last night.  I must confess I was a bit shaken. My mother  had minor surgury three weeks ago, and came home from he hospital. Then she developed a pocket of infection and a high fever, and other physical problems. She's spent another two weeks in the hospital, where dad never left her side.  Now she's home, but she's not well,  her spirits and her physical strength are very low at the moment.
We are all increasingly realizing that they are not strong enough to live on their own.  We are looking for assisted living for them.  Both of their health continues to deteriorate.
Some people live close to their parents and have strong ongoing relationships with them.  This has not been the case with us. We've lived most of our adult lives away from them. When it comes to family, though, out of sight is definitely not out of mind.  I care about them deeply, especially right now,and wish I could do more to help them at the moment.  Those people who have stood by my side for all my life, helping and supporting, deserve more than I have been able to give at the moment. If only there were more I could do than pray and support from afar. 
Whoever may read this blog will no doubt know how I am feeling. If you don't, you will.  Our parents are like the ground underneath our feet.  Even when we do not think about them,  they are there, and we build our lives upon them.  When our parents begin to suffer, we are shaken.  The ones we have always depended  upon now have to depend upon us. 
One good side to all this, though. When a family is under pressure,  love comes to the surface. Implied love becomes manifest love.  There is sweetness along with the worry, too. 
Please keep them both in your prayers.  I would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment