Monday, August 2, 2010

Changes, Changes!

So many changes!


There is so many changes in Joy and my lives today that I haven't been able to keep up with all of them. Good things. Molly got married last Saturday. They moved with her husband to Davidson, and has We've also adopted a dog--Natasha. She's a black border collie mix, about a year and a half old. She's the first female dog we've had, and is a big different from other dogs we've had. Not as much doggie testosterone. She's lively, all right, but likes to be petted more than any dog I've seen. I fully expect that, if she could talk, she'd ask if her collar made her look fat.

I'm getting a usable office at church, which means I'll be spending more time there. It will be nice to have a professional looking office again after so many years. I'm moving my books in, which is taking several days to complete.

Along with a new dog, office, and son-in-law, we also got new furniture for our living room. This includes a new TV, couch, two chairs, and coffee table. Who would have thought that merely getting a few new sticks of furniture would have been so disruptive. I'm moving books around, trying to get rid of old stuff, and rearranging. I'll be glad when it's over.

We've also joined a health club. It's been fun, but it's shown me how out of shape I actually am. It is something that Joy and I both feel that God has been leading us to do. If we want to be around to see grandchildren, we had better be concerned about our health.

Meanwhile, Joy had a health scare. She had been sick for six weeks with a bad spell of asthma. She has still not gotten over it. A CAT scan of her chest revealed a small nodule in her trachea, which they thought might be linked to the problem. Praise God, when they went to see it through a bronchioscope, it was gone. God must have removed it, Praise Him.

Meanwhile (have you ever notice how powerful a word "meanwhile" is?) My parents are considering going into a retirement home. It has gotten increasingly difficult to get around where they are, and they are concerned about the future. We do not know whether it will be in Atlanta or near us.

Another meanwhile, I've been elected to head the writer's club in Monroe this year--my first office outside the church. We're setting up writing contests, poetry reading, and storytelling events. It's an exciting voyage, but I don't yet have my sea legs.

Funny how things change--never slowly, but in gushes. I've learned to appreciate the quiet moments more, because God gives them for a reason--to rest for the next wave of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment