Wednesday, June 6, 2012

For my Friend, Jay

Jay and I first met when  I was twenty-one and he was sixteen. I had just come to the Doraville ARP church to be DCE/youth director, and he had just become a member.  Jay came from an unchurched home, but had been led to Christ and discipled by Lanier Ellis,  who was with Campus Crusade.
Jay was one of those propitious new members every church wants.  He brought his two best friends,  his two brothers as well, and in time led them all to Christ.  Over the years, that circle of evangelism expanded to include his parents as well.
Jay was a warm, easy, dedicated member of our youth and college group. He attended Mercer university,  working full time and maintaining a 4.0 average. He was a youth leader in our work,  making me as DCE look a lot better than I was.  Almost from the first, Jay never had much doubt that he was destined for lifelong service to the Lord.
Jay felt a call to Germany, and studied German, stopping just short of a doctorate in it.  He went to Germany and opened up relationships with German pastors. Later, he approached John Mariner and went back this time under the auspices of World Witness.
Jay witnessed  for Christ in Germany,  teaching and preaching.  He became aware of the need for theological education in Germany, and went to Scotland to gain a Phd.  He married a German Christian girl who was as dedicated to the work of the Lord as He was.
Over the years, I have cherished Jay's friendship.  He is probably the one I have known the longest in the denomination. We worked in different directions, but I have always enjoyed getting with him and laughing together. He has been a faithful loyal friend. Come to think of it Jay has been faithful at everything he has done.
In time Jay felt the call to come home and teach at Erskine.  He was one of the original members of th MT3 team, traveling the world teaching students in ministry.  He and his wive live in Due West, where they have six children., five of whom are above ground. One of his children died in infancey.
Dr. Jay Hering has received high marks of excellence from students and faculty.  He has gained a reputation as a scholar and friend, and last week,  Jay received the reward of his labors on behalf of the church.
 Jay was fired.
The reasons for his firing are a matter of interpretation, of course, they always are.  Jay spoke out in favor of those who suggested a lawsuit regarding actions of Synod and at one time said he would sign it if necessary.  He wrote a lengthy theological paper supporting the idea that under some circumstances Christians may have to go to court against a Christian institution.
There were rumors that he was perhaps as not as orthodox as some would like, that he might be a closet liberal, even though his wife prays with her head covered and he will not violate the Law of God intentionally, ever.   There was an attempt to censure him in the Presbytery and pressure to force him out.  He was denied tenure.
There is another side to this, I have been told. Erskine is losing money and they have to let someone go. Jay is not tenured, many of the others are, so he was expendable.  I do not judge individually any of those who have been pushing for this. Though corporately, I cannot help but think an injustice has been done.
Loyalty ought to work two ways. If we expect loyalty from our people to an institution, we ought to also expect the institution to be loyal to those who have served it as well as Jay.  But that's above my pay grade.  I just know this changes nothing for me. He is still my dear friend
I am hopeful and excited for Jay and his future.  I believe God will continue to use them greatly. I believe he will be a wonderful contribution to the lives of students.
They just won't be ARPs, that's all Some one else will receive the blessing we rejected. 



1 comment:

  1. Appreciate your perspective, friend. Jay is one of the most genuine Christian men I have ever known. I knew him in high school when he came to Christ and saw a marked change. Throughout the time I have known Jay his gentleness, thoughtfulness, and passion for Jesus have inspired me. I understand that institutions must make decisions, but I feel Erskine is the poorer for having lost Jay!

    ReplyDelete