Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Change of Life

Now it can be told.


I am going to start next month as the Director of Pastoral Studies at New Life Theological Seminary in Charlotte.

It has been a long, agonizing decision-making process to decide. It is a real change of direction for me. I am going from a full-time job to a part time one, from pastoring to teaching, and from rural ministry to urban ministry. But I know that God is going with me. He has confirmed over and over during the past two months that this is the direction He wants me to go.

I told my church this morning. It was a both a tearful and joyful experience--tearful, in leaving a church that has been our home for nine years now, but joyful because I know that this is the direction God is leading, and it promises to be an adventure.

We have nothing but love and gratitude for the people of Oak Ridge. They have given us a home and a productive ministry. My two grandchildren were baptized in that sanctuary, and two of my daughters were married there. It will always have a special place in our hearts. But if we do not follow the call of God, we will be doing a disservice to God and the church.

We do not know what is in store for us as far as a church is concerned. I am hoping that we may have opportunities to minister somewhere. Fortunately, we have time to sort all that out later. For now, we will continue to minister at the church for a few more weeks at least.

There is nothing like a new challenge to make you feel younger. This will be challenging spiritually, intellectually, and financially. We would appreciate your prayers for the future. We are optimistic though, and looking forward to the days ahead.

Keep Oak Ridge in your prayers as well. This is a challenge for them, and a new beginning. I have every confidence that God has a plan for them.



2 comments:

  1. Dr. Fleming, New Life Theological Seminary is excited to have you joining our leadership team as Head of the Department of Pastoral Studies. As you transition, we commit to pray for you and the wonderful people at Oak Ridge.

    Dr. Eddie Grigg, President
    New Life Theological Seminary

    PS. I have linked your blog up to the NLTS FB sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, I am an Adjunct at New Life,with a degree from Erskine and a checkered past as an ARP pastor. Welcome and blessings, dear brother. I've been reading some of your blogs and appreciate your heart and perspective.

    Ray Ashmore

    ReplyDelete