Saturday, April 9, 2011

The violence of the Kingdom


A few weeks ago, I preached on the story of Nicodemus, the old Pharisee who visited Jesus in the middle of the night. He's the one that Jesus told "you must be born again" It was a comment selected specifically for him.

What's interesting about this statement is what he did not say.  He did not say "Nicodemus, you must be rejuvenated."  He did not say that he should become younger in mind or spirit. 

I think that's what we expect God to say.  For years I think I've thought this deep down.  I remember when I was younger, more energetic and idealistic, and I say to myself that I ought to have the same passion now I had then. 

Rejuvenation is to some extent within our grasp. We can lose weight get plastic surgery,  dye our hair, and we'll look younger. We might even think younger. But that's not what Jesus said.

In T.S. Elliot's poem Journey of the Magi, there is a line at the end.  That says



All this was a long time ago, I remember,
And I would do it again, but set down
This set down
This: were we led all that way for
Birth or Death? There was a Birth, certainly,
We had evidence and no doubt. I had seen birth and death,
But had thought they were different; this Birth was
Hard and bitter agony for us, like Death, our death.



Eliot understands, I think better than m ost of us the paradox of being born again.  We cannot have a new birth unless we have a death.  We cannot live simultaneously in an old life and a new. That's why rejuvenation is not the answer.  We must have a violent overthrow of our personal regimes. 

In Matthew 11:12, Jesus said that "the kingdom of God suffereth violence, and violent men shall possess it." There is no gradual conversion. We don't slowly get better.  We have to be broken before we go on.  The new must replace the old.

I always wonder about people who say they have no regrets.  I have plenty.  One of my biggest regrets is that I was not more radical.  I have always believed in gradual change from within. Sometimes, that works, but not often.  Most of the time,  the Kingdom of God progresses by violent upheaval. 

Violence might sound to strong a world. But it is exactly what Jesus said.

When I look at the little church of which I am a part, I see a rapidly aging group of people.   I do not believe a gradual improvement, or even a second wind, will change us.  We a revolution of the Holy Spirit,  a new birth that wrests us from the warm womb of the past, and painfully drags us into the light. 

I believe that God did not send His Holy Spirit to turn back the clock. He wants to reset it.

No comments:

Post a Comment