Friday, July 24, 2009

I Get to be a Fire Fighter!

Last week was VBS at church, where I had two lifetime "firsts." The volunteer fire department members in our church brought the ladder truck. The kids l loved it. So did I. They let me, along with the other children, test the equipment. First, I got to hold the fire hose. For anyone who has never done this, it's not as easy as it sounds. When I think of holding a hose, I think of a garden hose, which you can hold with one hand. Not this behemoth. the nozzle was six inches wide, and had a handle as big as a toaster. When you open it full blast, it kicks like a drunken mule You have to have a big guy bracing you from behind just to make sure you aren't knocked over and thrown around like a bug on a whip. Then, I got to ride on the ladder. I couldn't believe they were letting me do this. The extended it down towards the ground, hen they put a harness on me so I wouldn't fall off, and hoisted me high into the air. It was then I remembered that I had a mild fear of heights. I started to sweat. My heart did a drum solo in my chest. I made it up about thirty feet before I had them let me down. Afterwards, I sat wishing I could do it again. One thing I learned about the life of a fire fighter. Whatever they do, they cannot do alone. There has to be someone standing behind you, holding you up while you do your job, or someone raising the ladder, watching in case you get in trouble. It's like the rest of life. This is the way God made us. Without help, we will always fall. With God's help, and the support of others, we can put out all he fires that life brings our way. Life's a lot more fun when we have help.

No comments:

Post a Comment