Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The day after White Monday


Yesterday, in case you didn't know, was White Monday, the day after Easter. In some traditions, it is a day for mirth and practical jokes, of celebration and joy.
It wasn't all that mirthful for me.  I had breakfast, went to work, and home. Along the way I finally got my car out of the shop after three weeks. That was something, at least.
Today I'm back to work.  Three classes,  the usual school hassles,  and a very good chapel service.  But all in all, a day for work. 
It is hard to remember that Easter was just two days ago.  This year, I really threw myself into Lent,  going to every service I could,  praying, meditating on the Cross, fasting, doing everything I could to keep the picture of the dying and resurrected Savior before me.  I felt I needed a forty-day humbling process. 
This makes me wonder--what difference does the resurrection make in ordinary, workaday world?  Does Jesus matter  in between the pharmacy and the grocery store?  Does He make a difference when we shave ad shower? 
I would hope so.  More and more I am convinced that the real meaning of the cross and resurrection is not just about forgiveness for sin,  but living with Christ.  He wants us to be with Him as we go about our business, hopefully with more spring in our step and more compassion on our lips. 
One of the great spiritual books of all time is The Imitation of Christ,  by Thomas  Akempis.  The theme of the book is that a Christian should imitate Jesus in everything he says or does--to eat like Him sleep like Him,  talk Like Him and walk like Him.  This Christian life is the life of Christ lived out in us today.  Easter is just a yearly reminder of that fact.  It's like that little window that pops up on my computer screen periodically to remind me of scheduled appointments.  I can either delay it, dismiss it, or do something about it. 
This year,  I don't want to go back to business as usual. I want to heed the message. I want to keep imitating Christ in my everyday life. 
I'm neither a saint, nor a mystic. I'm just rather disorganized guy with a sweet tooth, a lazy streak and a temper. I'm ordinary.  But Christ is extraordinary.  Maybe with help I can be a bit more than ordinary, too, to live the rest of the year a little bit like it's still Easter, sorrowing over sin, rejoicing in the resurrection, in touch with the opportunities God bring into my life, believing that even at my age, anything is still possible. 
I've seen the sign and started trying to live a better life.  Now it's time to let some of that old White Monday celebration live inside me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment