Monday, March 14, 2011

Potholes

It's been a while since I wrote in this blog, but for those of you who might be interested,  Let me tell you a little of what's going on. 
In January,  Joy and I bought a new car.  It was a 2009 Toyota Prius hybrid.  I have enjoyed driving it,  especially when I was driving past my friends at gas stations paying exhorbitant amounts for gas. 
I believe God let us to buy that car when we did.  Our original intention was to buy it in April of May, but since we bought it then,  we have evaded some of the gas headaches others have endured.  By April,  there is no telling how much higher the price of a hybrid might be.
Right now, though I am not driving it. i am driving a rental car.  Last Wednesday, on a major thoroughfare in Lancaster, SC,  I hit a pothole, which contained a large sized rock laying on the road.  The rock damaged a strut and the gas tank of my glorious new car.  It is at the shop while my insurance company and my mechanic decide upon the price of repair. I am convince that upstate South Carolina is the  ancient pothole spawning ground. 
In the meantime, I am in  a Jeep Patriot which is good ride, which downs gas like a drunken sailor downs whiskey.  I want my car back.
This whole incident reminds me of the paradoxical nature of faith. If I believe that God led ut to buy the car at the right time, then I must also believe that God let us ht the pothole.  As tenpting as it is to think that God gives us wise decisions but not potholes, the logic of it just does not hold up.  He gives both--the good and the bad. 
I will say this.  I have been at peace about the pothole incident. So tar, the insurance company has been outstanding in their treatment of my claim.  (I won't menton the company, but I will say it is one that is particularly fond of lizards and cave men)   It's been something of an adventure to driving a new car, and our tax refund came earlly enough to pay the deducable. That is also God's hand, I suppose. 
Sometimes, God helps us miss the potholes of life. Other times, He lets us hit them. But whichever way, He never leaves us.  One way or another, He's still in control.   

No comments:

Post a Comment