Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Noah, the Ark, and the Trailer

I spent last weekend in Atlanta (or possibly Atlantis). It rained the entire time I was there. We conducted a yard sale for my parents, and somehow by God's grace sold over seven hundred dollars worth of their worldly goods. I rented a Uhaul trailer larger than my car and drove home with a load of furniture and smaller items. Saturday my brother-in-law and it loaded furniture into my vehicle and his while the rains kept coming. I left about one thirty to head home. My minivan strained under the load, but somehow, I made good progress, at least until I hit my halfway point, Anderson, SC. Just before the Clemson exit, the bottom fell out of the sky. Noah never saw such rain. I set my wipers on maximum and trudged on with my load of furniture through the wet gray landscape. It was at that moment that the driver's side windshield wiper gave under he strain. The bolt holding it to the armature worked loose, and the wiper lay helpless on one side. I was suddenly blind. I pulled off he road, onto what I supposed to be the shoulder, and prayed about what to do. I remembered that somewhere ahead was a rest stop, so I resolved to make it there as best I could. Leaning sideways and peering out the passenger side, I drove at low speed towards the rest stop two miles ahead. Big semis and little sports cars whizzed by, splashing up even more water. The trailer blinded my rear view mirror. The water was now obscuring even the white lines on the road. I made it to the rest stop, and waited for he rain to slacken. When I thought it had, I got back on the road. No sooner had I pulled out than the skies opened again. I got off the road and drove along the shoulder towards the next exit. Soon, I was having to go around other motorists who were also stranded on the road. I pulled into the first exit, and went to the nearest gas station, begging for a wrench. They had none. There was not even a good place to park the trailer in the rain. Next door was a Hardees, so I parked behind it, and went inside to get dinner. God was good! So was the burger. The manager had a tool set and he went out with me to the car. Five minutes later, I was able to continue my trip. I thanked both him and God for leading me to that particular Hardees on that particular day. By the time I got to bed that night, I had been soaked four times. I was never so happy to see the lights of home as I was then. When something unexpected happens, it does little good to worry. All we can do is trust and think of it as an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment